Mokrice Castle was first mentioned in 1444, and the basic features of the Renaissance castle were given to Mokrice in the 16th century. The history of the castle is marked by finds from the Roman Empire and from the Turkish invasions.
It is 8 km away from Brezice and also has a turbulent past. At the place where the castle stands today, there was a Romulus fort in the Roman period.
The castle was built there for centuries as we see it today. He, too, passed from one owner to another. The last nobles who owned it were von Gagerni, who, due to financial distress, was forced to sell the property before World War II, when the castle was occupied by the Germans and nationalized after the war. Since 1952, the hospitality industry has started in it. Now the castle has been transformed into a four-star hotel. There is an 18-hole golf course on 70 ha of land. The castle bridge is also beautifully preserved, one of the few in Europe that still has a drawbridge.
Many stories have been preserved about the life itself and the inhabitants of the castle. To name but two: one that tells of a crow in the coat of arms and another – of the Countess Barbara.
At the time of the Turkish incursions into Slovenia, large flocks of crows remained on the banks of the Sava River, disturbed by the horse’s heat; of course, they fled, and the Turks fired at them with arrows. With their screaming flight (even towards the castle) they warned of impending danger. Legend has it that one of the crows shot by the Turks fell into the castle courtyard with an arrow in his neck, so the lord gave her a place of honor in the coat of arms.
The second story tells of the unhappy love of the Countess Barbara, who sadly threw herself from one of the towers into the deep. Of course, she passed away, and her spirit was supposed to wander around the castle for a long time. Even the large Turkish cannon ball, sometimes driven in front of the castle entrance, driven by the spirit of the unhappy Barbara, was supposed to roll three times around the fountain of St. Barbara.